Helping Trades Persons from Around the World Immigrate to Canada

Do you qualify?

Applicants applying under the Federal Skilled Trades Class (FST) must demonstrate:

  • At least 2 years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) work in a skilled trade in the last 5 years prior to your application date
  • A full-time job offer in Canada of at least one year in length or a Certificate of Qualification in your trade
  • Required language skills for each language category (see below)
  • Proof of Settlement Funds: applicants without an offer of employer must demonstrate sufficient finances to immigrate to Canada (see below)
  • Intend to live outside the province of Quebec

What is a Skilled Trade?

The National Occupational Classification (NOC) specifies 6 categories of skilled trade occupations for the Federal Skilled Trades Class:

  • industrial, electrical, and construction trades
  • maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • chefs and cooks
  • butchers and bakers

As you can see, these categories are vague and cover a broad range of trade occupations. Given the broadness of the categories, it is vital that you have a clear description of your job duties to ensure you satisfy most duties listed in your chosen NOC description.

At EXITUS IMMIGRATION SERVICES , we ensure applicants select the correct NOC for their specific occupation, ensuring they are credited with the experience they deserve.

Does my Work Experience Qualify?

You must have at least two years of paid work experience (1560 hours total, either full time for one year or part-time for 24 months) in the last five years prior to your application date.

Applicants must be qualified and certified to practice in their trade for the work experience to count.

What does not count as skilled trades work experience?

  • Unpaid work
  • Work during an apprenticeship or training
  • Part time combination of work and study
  • Work experience while not qualified or certified to practice in your chosen trade

Your work experience should be well documented with employment letters and contracts. If you were certified outside Canada, you should have evidence of when you first became qualified and how long you have been working as a qualified trades person.

NOTE: In many trades, such as plumbers and electricians, it is common to be self-employed. This means that many applicants cannot provide typical documentation one would receive from working as an employee. At EXITUS IMMIGRATION SERVICES , our representatives can steer you to alternative ways of proving your work experience and job duties.

Proof of Settlement Funds

Applicants who do not have an offer of employment must demonstrate sufficient funds to support themselves and their family upon arrival in Canada. This monetary requirement is based on the applicant family size.

Your funds must be accessible and transferable. They cannot be in the form of assets or hindered by debts or other financial obligations.

TIP: if you have an accompanying spouse, you can co-mingle your funds to meet the financial requirement.

Number of
family members
Funds required
(in Canadian dollars)
1 $12,960
2 $16,135
3 $19,836
4 $24,083
5 $27,315
6 $30,806
7 $34,299
For each additional family member $3,492

Language Skills

In order to qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades Class, applicants must meet the following minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) scores:

  • Speaking – CLB 5
  • Listening – CLB 5
  • Reading – CLB 4
  • Writing – CLB 4

How We Can Help

At EXITUS IMMIGRATION SERVICES , our representatives with lot of experience in Express Entry system and the Federal Skilled Trades program can help our clients through each step of the process, ensuring they meet all requirements from the start to ensure a smooth process towards permanent residency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *